CLASSROOM ETIQUETTE AND STUDENT BEHAVIOUR
WHAT IS ETIQUETTE?
Etiquette, the complex network of rules that govern good behavior.
Social and business interactions, is always evolving and changing as society changes. It reflects our cultural norms, generally accepted ethical codes, and the rules of various groups one belongs to.
Etiquette is merely a set of guidelines for politeness and good manners, the kindnesses with which we should always treat each other. It will always matter!
- According to Emily Post (1922),
‘Manners are made up of trivialities of deportment which can be easily learned if one does not happen to know them; manner is personality—the outward manifestation of one's innate character and attitude toward life." Manners are common sense, a combination of generosity of spirit and specific know-how. Rules of etiquette are the guiding codes that enable us to practice manners.’
- It helps us show respect and consideration to others and makes others glad that we are with them.
- Etiquette provides personal security
- It protects the feelings of others.
- It makes communication clearer.
- It will enhance your status at work.
- It makes good first impressions.
- Take responsibility for your education
- Attend every class
- Get to class on time
- Do not have private conversations
- Turn off mobile phones
- Do not dominate other students
- Respect your instructor
- Respect your classmates
- Come to class prepared
- Turn in your work on time
- Do not bring children to class*
How doyou understand Etiquette? How can you encourage one as an individual in your own evironment; be it a school, church etc?